Sunday, April 01, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake

I first tried this loaf when Tara and I took a trip down south to Three Hills to visit our friend Adrionne. She served this along with tea and other goodies. Adrionne and I used to be roommates and we would regularly swap recipes. It wasn't until I tasted this loaf that I realized how much I missed getting recipes from her! She sent us home with a chunk each (which got quickly scarfed down on the trip home) and I eagerly anticipated the day I would make it myself. It's a loaf that's two-toned, moist, chocolatey, nutty, and spicy all in one!

chocolate.chip.pumpkin.cake

The original recipe is from Taste of Home. Here it is with my modifications:
__________________________________________________________
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
Adapted from Taste of Home

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flower
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 can pumpkin (I used half of a 798 mL can - freeze the rest for another batch)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the pumpkin and applesauce, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans

3. Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into one portion. Spoon the chocolate batter into a well-greased bundt pan; top with pumpkin batter.

3. Bake at 325°F for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
__________________________________________________________

Enjoy with tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment