Sunday, February 19, 2012

Delish Custom Cakes and Sweets

Delish Custom Cakes and Sweets
9510 107A Ave
780-761-3227
Open Mon-Sat from 9 AM-5 PM

I went to this bakery thanks to a Groupon from my friend Adrionne. The deal was for 4 cupcakes. I wasn't initially planning on getting 4 different flavours but after seeing the multitude of flavours on display, I wanted to try out as many as I could. There were no labels for the cupcake flavours in the display case, but the lady helping me out verbally and patiently pointed out what each flavour was. The 4 cupcakes I decided on were red velvet, apple cinnamon, banana chocolate chip, and coconut creme.

Clockwise from top left: coconut creme, banana chocolate chip, apple cinnamon, and red velvet

Upon getting home, I quickly photographed the treats and cut a quarter off of each to sample while they were still fresh. My first bite was into the apple cinnamon cupcake. The cake portion had a tart and fruity apple flavor, a suitable amount of cinnamon, but a heavy buttery aftertaste. The texture also felt a bit dense (almost muffin-like) and chewy, as if the batter has been overmixed. I did like how the cake wasn't extremely sweet though. The cinnamon-sprinkled buttercream complemented the cake portion well as that wasn't overly sweet either. It just felt a tad dried out.

The coconut creme was made with a vanilla cupcake as the base, topped off with a coconut buttercream frosting. The vanilla cake was tasty. It was moist and light. I found the icing to be very sweet with a weird aftertaste. It was supposed to be a cream cheese icing, but I couldn't taste any cream cheese. The sprinkles of coconut on top were yummy and added an interesting twist to the texture, but overall, I could do without this icing and just eat the cake portion.

Apple cinnamon and coconut creme



The next sample was the red velvet. It was soft, moist, fluffy and had a subtle cocoa flavour. Every time I bite into a portion of red velvet cake, I have to make a strong effort to not think about the extreme dose of artificial coloring I'm ingesting. The cream cheese icing was topped with candy hearts which added a tasty crunch. I love cream cheese icing and this is one of the few icings where I don't have too much trouble eating the entire portion covering the cupcake.

Lastly, the banana chocolate chip cupcake was alright..for something that had artificial banana flavor. Mini chocolate chips were baked throughout the cake portion and were also added on top of the frosting for esthetics. The banana buttercream tasted and felt fresh, and made a nice addition to the banana flavored cake.

Red velvet and banana chocolate chip

Overall, my favorite cupcake out of the bunch was the red velvet. I thought that the cake portions were overall satisfactory (I'm negatively biased against icing as I'm not a big icing person to begin with). Delish is also to be applauded for their creativity in flavors (one I was afraid to try was the peanut butter and jelly!).

In addition to cupcakes, Delish also creates custom cakes and pastries (including but not limited to biscotti, cinnamon buns, and pies). I was given a business card at the end of my visit and shown a few samples of the cakes they've created. After seeing the 4 cakes they had on display, I wasn't very impressed as the decorating appeared to be novice decorating at best. Based on what I've tasted in the cupcakes I'm sure the cakes taste pretty good, but cake decorating is an art form and the esthetics of cakes shouldn't be overlooked.

A couple of other things stood out in my mind about this bakery. The employees wore scrubs instead of aprons. As a health care professional, it bothered me to see people preparing food while wearing a uniform frequently associated with patient care. Another thing was the overall uninviting atmosphere of the bakery. Upon walking in, there appeared to be more emphasis on the large, sterile-appearing decorating/assembling area than the viewing/purchasing area. There were two display coolers at the front end without much warmth or welcome. While the cakes were acceptable, there isn't enough of a draw for me to go out of my way again to return.

Delish Custom Cakes and Sweets
3/5

3 comments:

  1. I also went here recently because of the Groupon! My mistake was going on Feb. 14 - Valentine's Day and one day before the Groupon expired. There were no cupcakes in the display case (actually there was one), but the lady had some that had been baked and she listed off a bunch of flavours that she could make. I ended up going with cookies and cream, pb&j, peanut butter chocolate, and rocky road. My favourite was the rocky road. I thought overall they were pretty good. I've only had cupcakes from Crave and I thought that the cake here was better. I'm sure the quality overall would have been better had she not been rushing to throw them together for me. I agree with you about the appearance of the store. And since it was an especially busy day, the kitchen was a huge mess. The lady, however, was not wearing scrubs that day. I wouldn't go out of my way to go back, but if I was in the neighbourhood again I would probably stop in and try out some of their other flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should consider posting your blog reviews on Urbanspoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review! I think I've just been too spoiled by my sister-in-law's cakes. I'll have to post a picture of the cake she made for a friend's baby shower this weekend.

    I will consider Urbanspoon - I've just been too lazy, haha :)

    ReplyDelete