Sunday, February 26, 2012

Culina Mill Creek

Culina Mill Creek
9914 89 Ave
780-437-5588

Today's post was a joint contribution by me and my dining companion Garson. We met up at the Mill Creek location for brunch one Sunday as an early birthday celebration.

brunch.menu

I encouraged him to order the bacon caesar ($6) as he loves all things bacon. It came garnished with a thick strip of smoky bacon. We both liked the taste of the caesar. It was suitably spicy with the right amount of kick to it. Garson thought that there may have been some notes of shrimp cocktail sauce in the drink. While a bacon strip was part of the drink, not much of the bacon flavor infused into the drink and we both agreed that it would be even more awesome of the liquid portion had some bacon flavor to it.

bacon.caesar

When I asked about what types of tea they had, I was given the choice between a black tea infused with bergamot and rose petals, or an oolong chai. I chose the black tea ($4) and it was brought to me in a cute and stumpy metal teapot. As adorable as it looked, I would not be trying to search for one to purchase as the entire pot (including the lid) got incredibly hot! The tea itself tasted like an above-par black tea, but I wasn't able to taste much of the bergamot nor rose flavoring.

Cute but hot teapot

We both couldn't decide the Famous Bacon and Eggs ($17) or the Huevos Rancheros ($13.50), but then we agreed to each order one and share. Garson being the b-day boy, I let him have his choice which was the the bacon and eggs. It included slow braised bacon, a fritatta, potato hash, and toast. The meal was served with a mushroom cream sauce which we loved. We found the frittata to be a bit too salty and otherwise unremarkable. On the other hand, the potato hash was delicious, and the added slices of mushroom were a fabulous touch. However, our favorite part of this platter was the bacon. There was minimal fat and it had an amazing smoky flavor to it. The texture of the meat was almost like ham, but it was much better. We both agreed that there was an ample portion of meat on the plate and liked how the pieces of bacon were bite-sized and easy to share. Also on the plate was a dollop of homemade ketchup. I didn't think it was necessary considering there was the mushroom cream sauce on the other side of the plate and that there was no lack of flavor from the potato hash nor bacon (which is what the ketchup was placed next to).

famous.bacon.and.eggs

I'd like to call Huevos Rancheros a Mexican eggs benedict. There were two homemade tortillas topped with a tomatillo sauce, poached over easy eggs, fresh avocado chunks, refried beans, cheese and arugula. I wouldn't order this dish again. Part of the reason is based on my preferred taste of the traditional breakfast foods, but I also thought that the tomatillo sauce was very powerful and was the dominant taste on the plate. I also believe that there was too much of it on there to enjoy the flavors of all of the other toppings and even the tortilla itself.

huevos.rancheros

No birthday meal is complete without dessert, and we ordered the special of the day: the Tres Leche Cake with Strawberries ($8). "Sososososoooooo good" was my description for its taste. It is a sponge cake soaked in three different types of milk. The cake was a perfect balance between light and dense, and was moistened by the milky topping. The cake itself was fragrant and not too sweet. The leche sauce was creamy and also not overly sweet. It was garnished with an abundant amount of strawberries, a gooseberry, and a couple of sweet orange slices. All paired well with the cake and cream. This cake will be something that I will be searching for a recipe to try to recreate!

Yummy tres leches cake with strawberries

Next time I return to Culina, I will definitely order their bacon and eggs. I guess they don't call it their famous bacon and eggs for no reason! I also highly recommend the tres leche cake if they have it on their menu again!

Culina Mill Creek
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment