Friday, November 04, 2011

La Poutine - Review

La Poutine
8720 109 St

I love poutine, therefore La Poutine was a place I wanted to try. Kristen and I went upon recommendations by her coworkers. She said that they had mentioned that the cheese curds squeaked as they bit down on them, meaning that they were fresh and authentic.

I decided to stick with the traditional poutine (gravy and curds) with the traditional gravy. The traditional gravy is what they normally use in Montreal. It's spiced with herbs and is vegan. My first few bites were good, but the more I ate of the poutine, the more I noticed that the fries were very dry on the inside, even though they were generously coated with gravy. The curds were squeaky against my teeth, which I thought was kinda cool, and they had a nice flavor to them.The traditional gravy was also a bit tangy and reminded me of the dipping sauce at Swiss Chalet (something I'm not particularly fond of). I then tried some of Kristen's poutine with the beef gravy and I found that to be much better tasting.

Small traditional poutine with traditional gravy ($5.95)

The poutines range in price from $5.95 (small traditional) to $11.50 (large meat lovers). The small is the same size as a small square styrofoam takeout container. Large comes in a rectangular sized container.  Instead of using styrofoam containers, however, they serve their poutines in containers made from compostable sugar cane fiber, bagasse.

There was seating for no more than 12 and it was in a tight configuration. We got there at about quarter to twelve on a Monday thinking that it would get quite busy closer to noon. However, it didn't. While there were over a dozen different types of poutine to choose from, there was a rather limited section of canned and bottle drinks (water, orange juice, Pepsi/Diet Pepsi, 7-up, and Nestea).

The only part of the poutine I truly enjoyed were the cheese curds. While I appreciate the flavor of the fresh hand-cut fries, I found them to be very dry and almost unpalatable the more I ate. I'm glad I gave the place a try, but I will likely not return. I would much rather have poutine from Costco for a fraction of the price.

2/5

Other notes: only cash and debit are accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment